7.13.2008

Meccas & Ghettos

Cas and I are going to what might be one of the most exciting concerts I've ever attended, seeing as how we're going to two separate shows back-to-back. On a Wednesday in October we're seeing The Black Keys play at The Tabernacle in Atlanta, Georgia. Two guys from Akron, Ohio bringing their delta blues back south.

The Black Keys - Grown So Ugly



The very next night, Thursday, we return to the same venue to see The Raconteurs, Jack White and Brendan Benson's fleshed-out offshoot with the boys from The Greenhornes. This song says it all.

The Raconteurs - Blue Veins



Black Keys? Founder of the White Stripes? Coincidence or marketing genius? You tell me. Two great bands (I would even go so far as to say The Black Keys are high on my all-time list). Two nights. I'm just really excited. I plan on posting several songs from both bands in the coming weeks to celebrate the trip, alongside individual selections from other artists. Like this one, from one of the greatest bands in history:

Ghetto Defendant - The Clash (w/ Allen Ginsberg)



This song is just so good. Off of Combat Rock, they hire Allen Ginsberg to talk about Arthur Rimbaud while The Guns of Brixton play their island rhythms over a matching, somber dirge. Combat Rock is full of gems like this.

5 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, that's gonna be a sweet two nights of music, albeit a little heavy on the white boy blues/rock factor. Rolling Stone did a good piece on the Raconteurs recently here: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/theraconteurs/articles/story/20980717/murder_ballads_and_southern_grooves_the_raconteurs_are_back
And coincidentally I was just listing to that Clash track in the car right before I read this. Never gets old. I really wish I would have seen the Mescaleros when they were gigging. The most recent doc film on Strummer is pretty good:http://www.motherjones.com/arts/film/2007/11/joe-strummer-calling-know-your-rights.html

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Cas Masiak said...

It will be one of the greatest experiences of my life...(you know after marriage and birth of child type stuff). I will cry like a big wimpy fat boy.

Grown So Ugly is great, and the entire Rubber Factory album is amazing. What I can't believe is that I've heard at least 2 songs from it on television ads. Is that cool now?

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger The Man Who Was Too Loud said...

Yeah, I would've loved to have seen Strummer in any capacity live. I'll have to settle for drinking heavily and playing Clash records each year on the date of his death. Oh wait, I do that all year round...nevermind.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Man Who Was Too Loud said...

Oh, and one other thing. Gary, I know it's heavy on white-boy blues, but do you know any black blues artists putting out stuff this compelling? I don't. Someone get Corey Glover and Vernon Reid.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Megan said...

There is the Jack White I kept looking for. Blue Veins was perfect to listen to during the thunderstorm the other night. Of course, being new to the blog I had to scroll through the other postings and found myself yet again drawn to Feist. I will be pretty silent out here, but only because I will not pretend to know anything about the music or the artists... but I know what I like and I appreciate being included in the updates. Exposing me to whole new things?? I think I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home