8.11.2008

Attack & Release

7 weeks left until Cas and I die from awesome overload.

I was speaking to Cas on the phone last week and he mentioned how he hadn't heard any of the new tracks off of the recent Black Keys album, Attack & Release. It's a vast departure from most of their work, as they're playing with additional studio musicians (normally it's just the two of them) and Danger Mouse is producing.

I couldn't let that void go unfilled, Cas. Not since they'll absolutely be playing the new songs when we see them. So, cue Ad-Rock, 'cause here is the new style...

The Black Keys - All You Ever Wanted



The perfect first track for this album: a literal bridge between what you're used to and what is coming. Just a sonic revelation when that sunlight breaks through. Gary interviewed Danger Mouse recently and he's really proud of this song. I concur.

The Black Keys - Same Old Thing



Whoa, now. Flutes? Tribal chants? A ton of voice filters? Yeah, this isn't the same old thing from The Black Keys. Or is it? I think it still holds tight to the rawness and sheer weight of their previous work. Patrick Carney (drums and, previously, production) has claimed he loves the new sound.

The Black Keys - Oceans & Streams



I really love this song. It's produced by Brian, for sure. But I feel like he successfully pulled his influence back enough to expose more of their core sound - especially after listening to the tracks on their last album, Magic Potion, and seeing where Carney was heading. But he still injects some great additions, like the organ towards the end. There's a fullness to the wall of sound in this song and it's a refreshing change of pace.

The Black Keys - I Got Mine



The album's not all super-produced, though. I Got Mine is one of many tracks that return to form, almost entirely. YouTube performance from Letterman, who is noticeably impressed afterwards:



Are you ready, Cas? I want that beard. Rock n' roll, bitches.

The Raconteurs - Together



Jack White doesn't always sing, despite what the radio singles reflect. Brendan Benson, a successful solo artist prior to this band, takes the helm and lets Jack fill in the blanks. A real comfortable song.

Ray LaMontagne - Bring It On Home



As usual, one extra track unrelated to the concerts in October. This one comes courtesy of Annie, who introduced this Ray LaMontagne feller to me. A cross between The Band, Van Morrison, and a younger, soulful Joe Cocker. The guy's 34, fer crissakes.

Let's hear it for great voices.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Cas Masiak said...

My love affair with The Black Keys has really just begun...I see.

At first it was easy, traditional heavy rock blues riffs I've loved forever.

Now the real meat of the relationship starts with a slap in the face. Pay attention, Dan says, we're going for a ride!

I LOVE IT. Oceans and Streams, YES. I think Letterman WAS overwhelmed when he saw them play. I can't watch even a damn Youtube video without getting all choked up. Does that make me gay?

That's what it's supposed to do though, get an emotional response. And certainly no one does it like Jack and Dan.

I'm takin' that whole week off!!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger The Man Who Was Too Loud said...

Dude, I'm so gay for them too. ;) I want the voice, the beard, the skillz. Can. Not. Wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home